Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Bread Alternative

A little while back I mentioned how I grind my flax meal and make muffins from it, with protein powder instead of flour. It is very low carb because it is extremely high in fibre. Well, the last time I went to make muffins I discovered that I had only a few muffin papers. So necessity being the mother of all invention, I put the rest of the mix in a bread pan and made it into bread. And I love it! Now I can have a sandwich, or french toast (with sugar free syrup of course) etc etc. It had opened up a whole new low carb avenue for me.
I needs to be cut fairly thin, as it is quite dense. I got a whopping 34 slices out of this loaf.


It is sliced at about 1/3 of an inch. The only down fall is how expensive this is too make. This is a triple batch of the muffin mix and took 12 eggs! Eek. So it is a good thing I can cut it so thin! But the two loaves will go a long way for me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! I use flaxseed oil in my bread instead of regular oil and it is SO good. In fact, I bought some cinnamon flaxseed oil and accidentally put that in a while back and it was delicious!

Cathy said...

Every time I hear flaxseed my ears perk up because I am so aware of the health benefits. You have inspired me to try something that is good for me!

Clane Gessel said...

Yes! You should work with RAW more, it gives you more control over the photo, if you have Photoshop I highly recommend you try it :)

GingerLouise Clothing said...

You've been tagged!!!

Clane Gessel said...

:)

Of course I don't mind!

Thanks for adding me, it's good to see you on there :)

Joy Thomas Klassen said...

Hey, I would love to have your recipe.... care to share it? :) Enjoy your blog too!

Unknown said...

Hi Joy,
The recipe I used, is one I use for muffins. I tripled the batch and it can be found here,
http://connies-crazy-life.blogspot.com/2008/09/flax-meal.html
in one of my earlier posts. I baked the loaves for a bout 45 minutes. :)