A lot of us dream of what we would do if we won that big jackpot..A new home, traveling, cars, charities. Wouldn't it be fun.. yeah the
new stuff.. but then to shower our family and friends as well.
*Sigh* you know the saying.. the dream never dies, just the dreamer.
So what are the odds of winning? Well..sadly, not very good. Of course someone has to win, so A chance is better than NO chance.
The Powerball jackpot.. the biggest in US history has odds of 1 in 292.2 million.
That is a LOT of people buying tickets. To sink that in a bit more, Gary Grief, executive director of the Texas Lottery,
told NBC News' Weekend Today on Sunday. "At our peak last night, we were selling more than $1.2 million in Powerball tickets every single minute."
That is a lot of tickets.
Here in Canada, the Lotto 6/49 odds are 1 in 14 million, and Lotto Max is 1 in 28.6 million... still a pretty big shot in the dark.
You have better odds of a few other things happening than becoming the newest millionaire.
1. Being killed by a vending machine. (1 in 112 million)
2. Being killed by flesh-eating bacteria. (1 in 1 million)
3. Dying from chronic constipation: (1 in 2,215,900)
4. Getting murdered during a trip to the Grand Canyon: (1 in 8,156,000)
5. Being Killed by an asteroid strike (1 in 700,000)
6. Dying from chronic constipation: (1 in 2,215,900)
7. Dying From Being a Left-Handed Person Who Misuses Right-Handed Products (1 in 7 million)
Will this stop us from buying tickets?... I kinda doubt it.. I am however rethinking that trip to the Grand Canyon! ;)