Friday, November 7, 2008

Fog


There are many things that I love about living on an island. Being surrounded by the ocean is wonderful. We are never more than a few minutes drive from a beach and of course we see it out our window everyday. But tonight one of my most favourite reasons was happening. The fog rolled in and it was thick as the proverbial pea soup. Then we heard the fog horn. Usually I hear it in the wee small hours of the morning, I love laying in bed and hearing it. Such a mournful sound.
We seldom hear it but when I do it makes me think of bye gone days and sailing ships. Vessels coming and going with no GPS navigation system! We always seem to have a lot of air current here, so that blows the fog away pretty quickly and all too quickly it is silent again.

4 comments:

Clane Gessel said...

That is SOO cool!
That is a beautiful photo too!!!

What island do you live on??

Unknown said...

I live on Vancouver Island, in Victoria.
That picture is taken from the ferry, on the way to Vancouver. :)

Hill upon Hill said...

How fortunate to see the ocean. Oh the sound would be wonderful and haunting.

Clane Gessel said...

Ahhh...
Vancouver Island. I was there in September!! So much fun, and SO beautiful!!!