Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Flax Meal


This morning seemed like a good time to grind my flax seeds. I had bought a huge bag of organic bulk seeds at Super Store for about $5. I always keep my seeds, and when ground, the meal in the freezer because flax will go rancid if left out.
So I got out the coffee grinder and ground away. It takes so little time to do it. Maybe 5 seconds for each batch in the grinder.

I am trying to get back to my low carb lifestyle and I use the ground flax for muffins. I find them wonderful for breakfast.
1/2 C butter
4 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c of heavy cream
3 tbsp of veg oil
Mix together the above ingredients

1/2 c splenda
1 c of flax meal
1 1/2 c of protein powder
1 tsp of b.powder
1/2 c of coconut

Mix together the dry ingredients and then add the wet ingredients and mix well. Bake for 15 min at 350.
A friend and I have tweaked this recipe until it is the way we like. I sometimes add some almonds to this and also some Epicure pumpkin pie spice.

3 comments:

i love plum said...

thanks for stopping by my blog! i keep some flax oil in my fridge (i can't remember why...hmmm) those muffins actually sound delicious! xo

CannedAm said...

Have you tried out the Salba yet? I just buy plain old Chia seeds from the bulk barn. What a difference it's made! I do use flax too, but I'm noticing a mood & energy boost with the chia, along with sustained feeling of fullness....keeps me going longer. What mom doesn't need that? :)

Unknown said...

I will check that out Cannedam. I could defintely use some more energy :)